Total Pageviews

Monday, June 27, 2011

Summer Swim

I don't remember the exact moment I learned to swim. I am told by my mother that, when I was barely a toddler, I fell into the swimming pool at home and - despite all expectations - failed to bob to the surface...instead, apparently, I curled up in the fetal position at the bottom of the pool and just hung out there. Until my panic-stricken Mum jumped in - fully clothed - and hauled me out. Ummm, thanks, Mum.

But there are many amazing memories of swimming that I DO carry with me...from the countless lakes in Algonquin Park to the Eel River in Humboldt County...from the USVI turquoise warmth to the intensely mind-numbing water in Alaska, with lots of territory in-between. So you might say that swimming is an important part of my life experience.
And I want the urchins to share that. I want them to experience the joy of splashing around in the waters of the world. And of course, I want them to be safe around the water - if they fall in, I want them to be able to swim like a little fish, and get to where it's safe. Right? Right.

Hence our Second Summer of Swim Lessons.
Sigh.
It's modestly epic in that Big C. isn't at ALL keen to get his face/eyes/ears/hair wet. At all.
Period.
This, as you might imagine, makes Swim Lessons a tad challenging.
For ALL concerned.
Kindly send your most potent Learn To Swim Vibes our way this summer, won't you?
I'd be ever so grateful.....

No comments:

Post a Comment