Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 20, 2011

A long while...



Apologies for the long time since a post. Summer was a blur of activity, with camps and friends and waaaaay too much heat and lots of craziness. But now that fall is closing in, and now - more importantly - that the urchins are headed to school, I'm hoping to get back a little more time to do things that need doing. Attending to this blog, for starters...and working on the farm and looking for paid work, too...(anybody know anybody in the Park Service in Virginia? Please hire me.)

So, that said, there are many many pictures to post!
Let's get started, shall we?

One of the more crazybatshit ideas that the au pair and I came up with this summer was running our own camp at the farm for a week. It was a ridiculous amount of prep work (given that we were unpaid, unskilled and pretty much looking to just provide a bunch of kids with something to do to make their minds NOT TURN TO PUDDING), but I am absolutely certain that my urchins enjoyed it beyond belief...and the other kiddos who joined us seemed to have a pretty wonderful time, too. Each day had a theme, and each theme had lots of activities and arts and crafts and outdoor time. The coolest part? We all learned! And while I often suspect that the urchins are tuning me out entirely, I am shocked to report that they actually absorbed a lot about forest ecosystems and trees and how plants work.
I know, astounding, right?
And the only reason I know they learned ANYTHING is because - a few weeks later - we attended a camp out in the Shenandoahs for a week. A camp that included a hike with a park ranger from the George Washington National Forest...and the urchins actually ANSWERED the park ranger's questions. And my heart burst with equal parts pride and astonishment.

Frightening, really.

The urchins are listening....

Farm camp photos:




Lunch on the trail in the Shenandoahs:

No comments:

Post a Comment