Total Pageviews

Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day - A Review....


Let's just say that being a single Mom on Mother's Day AND being immersed in a culture that trumpets flowers/breakfast-in-bed/Hallmark cards/Mommy-gets-a-day-off,etc. etc. is just one more myth that I'd like to strap a kilo of dynamite to, and blast into the stratosphere.
Let's be frank, shall we? Orchestrating your own Mother's Day celebration with three cranky urchins who - as individuals - each have their own INDIVIDUAL IDEAS about how the day should proceed equals one f*&^%k of a lot of work for Muma. Period.

Trying to convince them to do Nothing For Me (because really, that would be EASIER on me) resulted in tears. Trying to convince them that we could all go and I'd buy a nice plant from the local nursery, resulted in tears. Trying to explain that making me dinner by themselves might result in an emergency room visit and/or fire and rescue call, resulted in tears. Additional tears were shed for reasons I have now forgotten....

Soooooo, we made necklaces. Baked and decorated cookies. Went to the nursery and got a pomegranate tree to plant in honor of the day (because the Son thought it was a pretty good idea after all). And I made three meals and two snacks, cleaned up three meals,and two snacks, vacuumed up (twice) all the spilled sprinkles from cookie decorating, assisted in the beading process for four necklaces, cleaned spilled beads out from between the floorboard cracks in the breakfast room,pried beads from the salivating mouth of the pug (twice), fed/watered/cleaned chickens and dogs, and finally, bathed, dressed and tucked into bed three Very Tired Urchins...so really, it was a regular kind of Sunday.....

Don't get me wrong. My urchins are wonderful. But Mother's Day is for them, not for me...which, I guess, just makes me a Mother....sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment