Total Pageviews

Monday, May 30, 2011

The Strawberry Fairy



In February, Caden and I planted a bunch of sorry looking rootlets in one of the raised beds in our vegetable garden. The rootlets had arrived via mail, bunched with a rubber band and tossed into a box, and they looked Very Unpromising. You see, I was lured, nay, seduced, by pictures of luscious red strawberries on the Gurney's website ( what can I say? I'm easily seduced when there's nothing but dead trees out my window and snow on the ground....) So, I ordered strawberry plants...online....and when they arrived I was MORE than skeptical...

The catalog patiently explains that a real crop of strawberries can take two to three years ( a fact I guess I had overlooked in my enthusiasm to have strawberries! In my garden! And they looked so pretty!!!).
But miracle of miracles, those scrawny little roots grew leaves, and flowers...and we actually got our first little wee crop of strawberries yesterday morning - just 4 months after planting them - and the best part? They taste AMAZING!

My strawberry-picking crew is now VERY motivated to collect more!


No comments:

Post a Comment